We have a very active Parent Network, which supports the school in a variety of ways. Formerly known as the PTA, this is a friendly group of parents, caregivers, teachers and other supporters who meet on the first Tuesday of each month at 7.30pm in the staffroom (check the newsletter for exact dates). The meetings are fun and informal and you can come along to ask questions, participate in discussions, put your hand up to help with an upcoming event or project, or just listen.
The Parent Network’s contribution to our school is in four main areas:
- Encouraging all aspects of parental involvement in school life
- Raising money for extra resources and facilities that benefit our children’s education and enjoyment at school
- Providing a link between the school and parents
- Providing information on topics relevant to parents and teachers
Some recent projects include:
- Significant involvement in the school’s biennial Country Fair, which in 2013 raised about $42,000 for our new Learning Centre
- The biennial Factathon, which is run in alternate years to the Country Fair
- A $5000 donation to the Enviro team for their new shadehouses
- A $20,000 donation for new computer equipment in classrooms
- Installation of softfall in our middle-school playground (worth $30,000)
- Organisation of fun events such as our annual Quiz Night, school discos and sausage sizzles, which help to raise money for our important projects
- Parenting seminars on Raising Boys and Raising Girls, including teacher development of “boys in education”
How you can get involved
Help us to make our fantastic school an even better place for all of our children! We welcome any help you can offer. We appreciate that not everyone is able to attend our monthly meetings, but even if you can’t make it to the meetings there are plenty of opportunities to get involved with events and fundraising. We often need volunteers for jobs such as making tea and coffee for visitors, collecting donations and helping out at our sausage sizzles, discos and other events.
This year we are trialling a new initiative to have a Parent Network class liaison person for each class in the school. The aim of this is to keep parents informed of our activities and encourage greater parental involvement in Parent Network events. If you would like to take on this role for your child’s class please contact Erin on the email or number below.
Meet the team
Some useful links
New Zealand Parent Teacher Association (NZPTA)
A national organisation providing resources and advice to school PTAs
The Ministry of Education
Find out about how the New Zealand education system works on the ministry’s website.
The Parenting Place
A not-for-profit organisation dedicated to making life better for parents and their kids by offering a wide range of programmes to encourage and support parents.
Kiwi Families provides comprehensive practical parenting advice for New Zealand parents, from conception to “leaving the nest”.
Parent to Parent
Parent to Parent seeks to support, educate and empower families who have a child or family member with disabilities, health impairments or special needs.
West Auckland Parents Centre
West Auckland Parents Centre is affiliated with Parents Centres New Zealand, and is one of over 50 Parents Centres in New Zealand.