Parent Network (formerly PTA)
Parent Network (formerly PTA) at Oratia District School
At Oratia District School we have a very active Parent Network, which supports the Board of Trustees and the school in a variety of ways.
How does the Parent Network contribute to our school?
Our Parent Network has four main areas of involvement at the school:
1. To encourage all aspects of parental involvement
2. To raise funds for extra things that benefit our children's education
3. To provide a link between the school and parents
4. To provide information on topics relevant to parents and teachers
Some examples of what we have done for the school in recent times
· A $20,000 donation for new computer equipment in classrooms
· Significant involvement in the County Fair, raising around $30,000
· Installation of softfall in our middle playground (worth $30,000)
· Organisation of fun events such as Trivial Pursuit nights, school discos, sausage sizzles etc. which all help to raise funds for our important projects
· Parenting seminars on Raising Boys and Raising Girls, including teacher development of “boys in education”
When do we meet?
We meet every first Tuesday of the month at 7.30pm in the staffroom. Our meetings are fun, informal and you can just come along to listen, participate in discussions or put your hand up for an upcoming event or project. We look forward to seeing you at our next meeting!
Contact us for more information
You can contact us if you would like to get more information about our Parent Network: Erin Kingsleigh-Smith, Chairperson. Phone: 021 355 009
Some useful links on a variety of topics
New Zealand Parent and Teacher Association (NZPTA) http://www.nzpta.org.nz/index.html A national organization providing resources and advice to school PTA’s
Parents Inc https://www.parentsinc.org.nz/home/ A not-for-profit organisation dedicated to making life better for parents and their kids. They offer a wide range of programmes to encourage and support parents.
New softfall at the Year 2/3 playground.